ISKRA MARHST-L

Wszelkie tematy związane z PMW

Moderatorzy: crolick, Marmik

Awatar użytkownika
AvM

ISKRA MARHST-L

Post autor: AvM »

MAm pytanie z forum MARHST-L

When war broke out in August 1939 the Polish Navy’s sail training ship, the steel 3-masted schooner ORP /ISKRA/, was fortunately deployed overseas. She ended up in Gib, where she was taken over by the RN as a static depot ship (variously as HMS/ISKRA/ & HMS /PIGMY/). Decommissioned by the RN in mid-1945, she was not returned to Poland until 1948. She must have been kept in good condition as she lasted in the sail training role until 1977, by which time she was 60 years old. Her replacement was a purpose-built barquentine of the same name, which will be well known to anyone who has done a tall ships race since the 1980s.

/ISKRA/ was also notable in that the legendary 'Joe' Bartosik was serving in her as a junior officer in 1939. After war service with the Polish Navy Bartosik managed a transfer to the RN in 1945, where he enjoyed a hard-charging career that generated a mass of stories, and retired as a rear-admiral in 1969. Polish friends in sail training world were always amazed to learn that the RN had a Polish admiral in the 1960s.

My question is does anyone know what happened to /ISKRA/ in the three years between the end of the war & being handed back to the post-war Poland?

FS
Awatar użytkownika
crolick
Kontakt:

Re: ISKRA MARHST-L

Post autor: crolick »

Polecam książkę Henryka Pestki "Biała jak mewa".
Tam jest to opisane szczegółowo.
Misja Morska z 1947 roku pod przewodnictwem kmdr. por. de Waldena uzyskała zgodę na powrót okrętów będących własnością polską (BŁYSKAWICA, BURZA, WILK, WILIA, ISKRA i ścigacze).
W maju rozpoczęto remont w Gibraltarze, ale zakres prac się stale powiększał więc we wrześniu okręt przeholowano do Portsmouth i tam kontynuowano remont.
W czerwcu 1948 roku prace zakończono i ISKRA opuściła Anglię i wróciła do kraju.
To tak w bardzo dużym skrócie. Więcej jest we wspomnianej książce.
Podczas gdy Kłapouchy wszystkim się zadręcza,
Prosiaczek nie może się zdecydować, Królik wszystko kalkuluje,
a Sowa wygłasza wyrocznie - Puchatek po prostu jest...
Awatar użytkownika
Peperon

Re: ISKRA MARHST-L

Post autor: Peperon »

W Wikipedii o ORP Iskra (1917) jest odnośnik, jak poniżej.
Ale to już samemu trzeba poszukać, ba ja nie posiadam.
J. Miciński, B. Huras, M. Twardowski: Księga statków polskich 1918–1945. Tom 3. s.248

W ramach uzupełnienia: odnośnik jest przy przypisie do informacji o remoncie Iskry w roku 1947.
Ludzkość dzieli się na trzy części.
Żywych, zmarłych i tych co na morzu.
ODPOWIEDZ